Monday, February 3, 2014

Prodigy by Marie Lu


Title: Prodigy
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Penguin
Published: January 29, 2013
Genre: Young Adult / Dystopia
Source: Bought - Easons

Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives.

Day is believed to be dead, having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?



I apologise if this seems a tad rushed, I just want to start the next book already! I think that sums up how excited I am, but unless you don't fully understand the extent, just.. just read on.

This book received praise like no other! I'm telling you now, every single review I came across wasn't just bright, but beaming, and to be honest, I almost readied myself for disappointment. After having read it now, I completely understand where the positive reviews are spawning from.

'Prodigy' starts off with Day and June, fresh out of Los Angeles and wrecked as hell! With his leg all banged up, nightmares and all else, it takes them a little bit to get to Vegas and find the Patriots. The first few chapters were a bit slow, and it did take me little while to get into the plot, but once I did, once they find the patriots and are taken off the streets of Vegas, I was just hooked.

The first thing I took note of (well took not of again because it was probably the first thing I noticed in the previous book, Legend, too), was how freaking awesome these characters are! I don't think I've ever had so much respect for protagonists before while reading a book. Day and June are so sharp, and so aware, and so confident, and just so strong overall, that following them as characters came naturally. I don't exactly know how to put it, but their personalities were so attractive and fascinating, you felt compelled to read on and follow them on their road.

Usually in YA novels (I say YA because I've barely read anything else), when a protagonist is so drastically affected by an event or happening in the book, they either go stark raving mad, or become a blubbering mess. Either way, they fall apart, and it was really cool to see the characters you love being strengthened by everything that happens rather than the opposite. I should also mention that it wasn't unrealistic in any way whatsoever. Day and June were constantly being reminded of their losses, even letting themselves go at times to grieve, but they never let it go on longer than it needed to be. They actively decided not to linger too much on the negatives, and use the positives to grow.
Even though most of the book focuses on the two main characters, every other character wasn't left underdeveloped. Two who really stood out to me, were Anden and Kaede. Both were introduced in 'Legend', but became so much more in 'Prodigy', and I loved it!

One thing I was kind of confused by, if confused is the word, was how Day and June both seemed to know exactly how much time has passed. I don't know if that makes any sense, but you'll know what I mean if you've read the book. It was like they were both human clocks, especially June, able to say when exactly an hour has passed, down to the second. I wasn't sure if they were always counting the seconds, which I'm pretty sure is impossible, or I missed the part where Marie Lu wrote about them having watches strapped to their wrists, but yeah, it was just a little weird.

Equally as important as the characters, was the plot of this book. What can I say other than, holy crap! It did take a few chapters to get into the story, personally, but after Day and June finally met up with the Patriots.. holy crap! Every chapter, there was something new going on, and each one more exciting than the last! From talks of the Patriots' plan to assassinate the Elector, to June's being reinstated, to Day and Tess' spat about how he treats her differently to June, to actually reading the assassination plan unfold and completely crash and burn. Personally, whenever I had the chance to read, I would just notice tens of pages fly by in no time. It was just so thrilling.

Prodigy had some of the best world building I've seen in a YA dystopian. You know what I'm talking about, the Colonies! From the moment Day and June popped up through the tunnel, utterly astonished by the flashing lights and signs, to when they left in a Colonies jet, behind pilot Kaede. Everything was described so well, and with so much detail, that what Marie Lu was imagining instantly appeared in my head. Vivid isn't even the word!
And how was this possible? It all comes down to Lu's fantastic writing style! I think I already mentioned this in my review of 'Legend', but her writing feels effortless, yet precise and focused. And so damn easy to read! If I were to pick my favourite aspect of the book, it would have to be her writing.

I think that's enough rambling for now. To sum it up, this book was simply fantastic! At the end, I honestly felt as if I'd been shot or something, haha!


I'm sure you guys have already read this. If you haven't, you have to start like right now, and if you have, what did you think of it?
Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment