Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Blogmas Day 10: Interview With Dr. C.A. Gray

Hey everyone!

Same as yesterday, I'll have to kinda rush through this because exams start in two days and I really have to study, but fortunately it's only an interview, so I don't actually have to write much! Haha





Dr CA Gray is the author of new YA novel, 'Intangible. It's the first of a promising fantasy fiction trilogy called 'Piercing the Veil'. Believe it or not, she's a real doctor! I know, I was surprised as well! Haha

I received a copy of the book for a review, and that'll be up sometime next week, so for you'll just have to settle for the blurb!

Or don't wait, the book is available on Amazon, for a really decent price!

The author can also be found on Twitter Facebook and her Website

Peter Stewart is a nerdy 14-year-old British kid who grew up on a unique version of the Arthurian legends taught him by his father, a harebrained quantum physicist who asserts that anything is possible. In order to safeguard against disappointment, Peter has come to reject anything which cannot be scientifically explained, despite a nagging sense that there is more to the world than meets the eye.
But when a mysterious stranger stages an accident which nearly costs Peter and three of his schoolmates their lives, suddenly he finds himself transported into a city where citizens speak a language of power called the Ancient Tongue, fairy tale creatures roam freely, and an organization that calls themselves the Watchers admits to keeping tabs on Peter all his life. Little by little, Peter discovers the truth of his father’s stories… including the existence of Arthur’s ancient nemesis, one who calls himself the Shadow Lord, and a prophecy with implications so profound that it will alter not only the course of Peter’s life, but potentially the fate of the world.




On With The Interview!



Alright, Gray, how's about you tell us a bit about yourself and your work for starters?

Wow, that's pretty open-ended. Well, let's see. I have refined the art of cramming lots of things into a day. (At the moment I am a doctor, a teacher, and a writer in at least three different forums and under two and sort of three names, but I'm about to stop teaching so that'll help!) For the most part, I'm a pretty peaceful, happy person. My fiction writing: this series has been many years in the making -- I actually wrote a novel that was trying to be this novel a few years earlier and it was TERRIBLE, no one will ever see it. But it wasn't time yet, you know? Had to refine my message and find my voice.


Has writing always been a major part of your life?

Not really, but only because I felt like I needed to do something more "practical". I think I always knew in the back of my mind that I'd write on the side, once I could afford to do it. Then I found out that you kind of never can "afford" to do it, and you just do it because you can't imagine doing anything else.



I definitely agree!
When and how did you come up with the idea and name for 'Intangible'?

That's actually a very new title. For the years when I wrote the book, I called the series "The Carlion Chronicles" and the first book was "Ripple Effect." But that wasn't catchy enough. I liked "Intangible" mostly because of the ring with the other two titles ("Invincible" and "Impossible.") I came up with the titles while jogging one day. My mom actually came up with the series title, "Piercing the Veil."



Interesting how often authors actually change the titles of their novels! I guess it makes sense though!
Unlike a lot of YA novels nowadays, the protagonist in your book is male. Why did you decide to have a male main character, and was it a difficult decision to make?

I didn't even think about that, honestly! So growing up (this is stupid, but) I named all of my journals. I picked the name Peter first, because I'd never actually known a Peter since I was in preschool, so I didn't feel like I was writing to someone I knew.  I intended to pick a different name for each one, but then I thought, that's mean, I can't just abandon Peter! So they were Peter ever since, through like later high school (when I stopped naming journals!)  So of course Peter would be my main character.



Well that's nice haha! I kept journals too, but I can't say I've named them! ;)
Is the character of Peter inspired by anyone in your life?

Well, the name, see above. The character: he's a little bit me, although he's a lot smarter and (hopefully) a lot nerdier than I am! :) But his sarcasm, the way he thinks and the way he talks is sort of a caracaturized (is that a word?) version of me.



Who's your favourite character in the novel?

Bruce. I think he's SO endearing. I just want to hug him every time he goes off on some new theory.



You guys will just have to read the book to find out who she's talking about! ;)
Pros and cons of writing the book?

Pros: it's an escape for me, I absolutely love when I get into "flow." Cons: honestly? I'd forgotten how to write fiction when I started this book, and I'm still re-learning the craft through books 2 and 3, so it's requiring a lot of work and a lot of editing just on that piece.  (I do have a minor in Creative Writing, but they didn't really teach you to write action-packed novels so much as character-driven literature, which was never my thing.) It's getting easier though!



Explain what the book is about in less than ten words!

An underdog hero finds out that he must save the world. (That's less than ten if you neglect the articles.) ;)




Thanks Gray, for your time, and I hope 'Intangible' does really well! I'm almost halfway through it, and am enjoying it!
Check her out guys, show her some love! Haha

Alright I'll see you guys tomorrow with Day 11!




No comments:

Post a Comment