Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Blogmas Day 18: Insurgent Book Review

Title: Insurgent
Author: Veronica Roth
Genre: YA/Dystopian
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: May 1st, 2012
Source: Hughes and Hughes
Easons  Amazon

I have done bad things. I can’t take them back, and they are part of who I am. 

 Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family. But she has paid a terrible price. Wracked by grief and guilt, she becomes ever more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.

 Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever… because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead.

- Goodreads


Hey guys!

I'm reading Allegiant at the moment, and thought I'd get in a review of Insurgent before I finished and reviewed the third in the Divergent trilogy!

After the first book, readers are on a high, that's almost guaranteed, and Insurgent begins with out characters arriving at the Amity compound. It's great that we readers were given a whole new setting. Don't get me wrong, I loved and still love everything about Dauntless, but exploring the Amity faction was a nice breath of fresh air. Did that work? Did you get my comparing Amity to a breath of fresh air, because they're free and whatnot? Anyway..

Also exciting, is how we're introduced to the whole new world of the factionless! That, and how we figure out Four's Mother isn't actually dead, and instead, is leading said factionless! It's the kind of stuff that itches at the farthest parts of your mind, and you sort of expect it, but when it happens, you're surprised anyway!
The world building in the second book undeniably trumps that in the first, Divergent, which is really important in any dystopian. We are brought to Amity, where Tris saves Peter's life which indirectly saves her own later on. We are brought to Candor, where everyone learns Four's real name, which doesn't suit him at all, haha! And we are brought back to Erudite, where Tris is almost killed. I know some fans were disappointed with the world building in Divergent, but in Insurgent, this is definitely not a problem!

Character personalities in Insurgent were greatly amplified. For example, we all knew Peter to be the selfish little coward, who took pride in beating up girls half his size. But as the plot stretched on, his character, and many others, were really fleshed out. Peter was now a misunderstood guy, with strange principles yes, but that's just it, he had principles! He believes in the 'eye for an eye' moral code, and though it isn't the most ideal, it presents him in a better light than how he was in Divergent.

Oh and another character that really surprised by was Tori! She was so nice back in Divergent, and by 'nice' I don't mean nice, I'm mean likable, and cool, and other positive adjectives I can't be bothered to think of, but in Insurgent, she's.. changed man! Simply put, I did not like her by the end of the novel.

Of course our favourites were also developed further. Tris, still as awesome as ever, but Four, he isn't the perfect training instructor everyone knows him to be. He can actually get mad, believe it or not. Evelyn's appearance also brought out a new side to him. Well not so much bringing out a new side, more developing an aspect of his personality that was just hinted at in Divergent. That's the vulnerable side, of course. Being around his Mother was obviously going to being back memories of his rough past, and that's evident in the book.

Though this book was awesome, on so many levels, I'm sad to say that I was disappointed by the ending. It was probably intentional, and in that light the ending makes so much sense, but I felt like it was so rushed. One minute the Dauntless are fighting the factionless, then a whole load of things happen, then a clip is played, revealing that the whole system was just an experiment. Perhaps I was just sleep-deprived when I got to the end, but I couldn't comprehend everything that happened.

Apart from that, Insurgent was a great read. Dystopian lovers should really check this series out!




Have you read 'Insurgent' yet? What were your thoughts on it? :)
I'll see you guys tomorrow with Day 19!
(Oh and p.s, I'm finally on Christmas break now and couldn't be happier!)


No comments:

Post a Comment